Yuanming Hu 胡渊鸣
I am a first-year Ph.D. student at MIT EECS, supported by the Edwin Webster Graduate Fellowship.
I graduated with honor from Tsinghua University (Yao class) in July 2017. I worked on deep learning and computer vision, during my internship with Dr. Stephen Lin at Microsoft Research Asia. My undergraduate thesis is on automatic photo post-processing using reinforcement learning and adversarial learning (presented at SIGGRAPH 2018).
My current research interests include:
- Computational photography, i.e. developing algorithms that help people take better photos;
- Physical simulation for VFX and its combination with machine learning and robotics;
- High-performance systems for computer graphics.
Email: yuanming _at_ mit.edu Github
- (2018.8) Our high-performance MLS-MPM solver with CPIC is open source. MLS-MPM can be implemented within 88 lines of code.
- (2018.8) We have two papers conditionally accepted to SIGGRAPH Asia 2018.
- (2018.7) I will talk at GAMES: Graphics And Mixed Environment Seminar about our recent four projects (July 12 8:45pm: MLS-MPM-CPIC, AysncMPM [Slides]; July 19 8:45pm: Exposure, Taichi).
- (2018.6) I will speak at the first event of Boston Computational Creativity group.
- (2018.6) We have one simulation paper accepted to SCA 2018.
- (2018.5) I will give the talk "From TensorFlow to Taichi: A GAN for Computational Photography, a Scheme for Physical Simulation, and a Library for Computer Graphics" at MIT CSAIL. Slides available upon request.
- (2018.4) My article about building a reusable infrastructure for computer graphics is on arXiv.
- (2018.4) We released our code for the CVPR 2017 paper "FC4 : Fully Convolutional Color Constancy with Confidence-weighted Pooling".
- (2018.3) We have one simulation paper conditionally accepted to SIGGRAPH 2018.
- (2018.3) The code for our Exposure project is now open-source.
- (2018.2) Our paper Exposure: A White-Box Photo Post-Processing Framework is accepted by ACM Transactions on Graphics. We will present it at SIGGRAPH 2018.
Narrow-Band Topology Optimization on a Sparsely Populated Grid
Haixiang Liu*, Yuanming Hu* (joint first authors), Bo Zhu, Wojciech Matusik, Eftychios Sifakis
A Moving Least Squares Material Point Method with Displacement Discontinuity and Two-Way Rigid Body Coupling
Yuanming Hu, Yu Fang, Ziheng Ge, Ziyin Qu, Yixin Zhu, Andre Pradhana, Chenfanfu Jiang
SIGGRAPH 2017, Poster
Ph.D. Student@Massachusetts Institute of Technology 2017.9-
I am now a Ph.D. student at the Computational Fabrication Group, mentored by Prof. Wojciech Matusik. I work on high-performance numerical simulation for computational fabrication, automatic discovery of microstructures, differentiable physical simulators for soft robotics and machine learning.
Visiting Student@The University of Pennsylvania 2017.7-2017.8
I visited Prof. Chenfanfu Jiang during summer 2017. We developed a new material point method that is faster and supports cutting and rigid-body coupling (SIGGRAPH 2018).
Research Intern@Microsoft Research Asia 2016.9-2017.6
Computer vision research with Dr. Stephen Lin and Dr. Baoyuan Wang. We developed a novel color constancy algorithm that outperforms the previous state of the art with a 100-fold speed increase (CVPR 2017, oral), and a practical generative adversarial network (combined with reinforcement learning) that is capable of processing images with no resolution limits (ACM TOG, presented at SIGGRAPH 2018).
Undergraduate Visiting Researcher@Stanford University 2016.6-2016.8
With Prof. Ron Fedkiw, I developed a novel line segment based reconstruction algorithm for fine tree details where previous methods do not perform well.
Internship Student@The University of Tokyo 2016.3-2016.6
Computer graphics research (physically based animation and rendering) with Prof. Seiichi Koshizuka and Prof. Toshiya Hachisuka. I implemented 10+ graphics papers during this internship and developed an initial version of Taichi, an open-source computer graphics library.
IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Reviewer
ACM SIGGRAPH Asia 2018, Reviewer
Good at C++ 14/11, Python 3/2
Tools: ssh, Vim, Git, TensorFlow, OpenGL, Qt, LaTeX, CMake, Visual Studio, CLion, tmux
(Natural) Languages: Chinese (native), English
TOEFL: 112/120 (speaking 26)
Asia-Pacific Informatics Olympiad 2012, China District
China National Olympiad in Informatics 2012
ACM-ICPC Asia Changsha Regional Contest 2013, with my team
ACM-ICPC Asia Shanghai Regional Contest 2014, with my team
China National Olympiad in Informatics 2014
Gold Medal, 1st / 450
Gold Medal, 13th / 350
Gold Medal, 3rd / 200
Gold Medal, 5th / 250